Back in the Unix game

Well, working with a windows only machine sure made life difficult. Now I am back in the Unix
game with a shiny new Macbook running OS X Tiger. I was pleased to find out that it uses the
ipfw firewall which is what I was using before. Since I have only had this for machine for two days, I have not explored much of the unix side of things except to setup my preferred colors in the shell, turn on the firewall, and edit some files with vim. I downloaded the beta version of VMWare Fusion and installed Windows XP Pro so I could do some of my specialized school work. The performance is good enough if I don't switch between the Mac and Windows worlds much. A RAM upgrade should speed things up.

Of course, I had to install the Opera web browser. So far I like the OS X interface. Oh yeah, I had to add a few essentials like Desktop Manager for virtual desktops and QuickSilver for easy program launching. NeoOffice, the native OS X version of OpenOffice.org, meets all my office productivity needs.

I look forward to playing with this little machine. One cool thing about the terminal is that it supports true transparency. I was watching a DVD under my terminal. Very cool!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iChat IRC transport with OpenFire and Kraken

Save kerberos password in keychain for use with kinit on MacOS (was OS X) for use with network drives

Recording the iPhone screen and Mac screen at the same time in one video