Fast DNS servers

Recently, my wife has been complaining that the internet is significantly slower on my MacBook than on here linux PC. She was right. The MacBook was substantially slower, but it was only slower at home. At work and school, pages load very quickly so I suspected that perhaps the DNS server had something to do with it. Sure enough, once I changed the DNS server to OpenDNS, the pages were loading faster than ever. Both of these machines use a wireless connection, but my wife's desktop has a static IP address while my laptop is set to automatic, so it gets whatever the router gives it for DNS.

I created a Home location in the Network Preferences with a static IP and the OpenDNS servers for name resolution. Now I can have fast internet everywhere :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iChat IRC transport with OpenFire and Kraken

Save kerberos password in keychain for use with kinit on MacOS (was OS X) for use with network drives

Recording the iPhone screen and Mac screen at the same time in one video