Use Screensaver to leave an away message with a keyboard shortcut

I am a focal point at work for various issues so I get lots of visitors to my desk who want to ask questions.  If I have to leave my desk, it is helpful to leave a note so people can find me if they really need me at that moment.

I have used the Computer Name screensaver on my Mac with a custom message, but going to System Preferences -> ScreenSaver -> Options... to change the text was always a bit of a psychological burden, so I started looking into a way to change that text programmatically.

After some internet research, I was able to develop an Automator service to prompt for a message and then start the screensaver using that message.  Here is the image of the automator service.



I saved my service as StartScreensaver.  Then I opened System Preferences, went to Keyboard, and then Shortcuts to add a keyboard shortcut that will launch my service.  I chose Command-shift-8, but you can pick whatever you want.

Now I just hit Command-Shift-8, type in my new message if I don't want to reuse the last one, and press enter to launch the screensaver with my custom message.

Observant readers may wonder about my applescript and why I set the_message to "no luck" before calling the dialog box.  That was just a debugging step so I could tell if the defaults read command was working and if the dialog box was working properly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iChat IRC transport with OpenFire and Kraken

Save kerberos password in keychain for use with kinit on MacOS (was OS X) for use with network drives

Recording the iPhone screen and Mac screen at the same time in one video