Manually migrating email to new Mac

I recently erased my hard drive and reinstalled macOS High Sierra.  I had previously made a Time Machine backup and wanted to bring in my old email into Mail.app.  In prior versions of macOS, I just had to copy the Mail folder into ~/Library, but that did not work in High Sierra.  Mail told me that it could not convert my mail to the new format.

I then tried the import option and pointed to the specific mailbox in Time Machine, but that made all kinds of subfolders that were difficult to deal with.  Finally, I decided to copy all the .emlx files to the same folder, rename the folder with an .mbox extension and try importing them.

Yeah!  This worked very well.  In terminal, I navigated to the Time Machine folder for ~/Library/Mail and then drilled down until I got to the Data directory of the mailbox with the messages I wanted.

Then I ran the following command to copy them to a folder on my desktop called mailbox.mbox:

find . -name '*.emlx' -exec cp -r '{}' '/Users/josh/Desktop/mail' ';'

Then I used Mail's import mailboxes feature and chose Apple Mail to import my mailbox.mbox folder.  It worked perfectly.  Now I have one Mailbox in the sidebar in Mail that contains all those messages.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iChat IRC transport with OpenFire and Kraken

Save kerberos password in keychain for use with kinit on MacOS (was OS X) for use with network drives

Recording the iPhone screen and Mac screen at the same time in one video